In order to paint a home, you need to have a plan. Your plan needs to incorporate a number of steps. You can’t simply start painting. You need to prep the work area, you need to make sure the surface is clean and sanded, and you need to add a layer of primer. If you don’t take these steps, your home won’t look professionally done and your curb appeal will suffer as a result. Moreover, it will be more expensive to reverse the damage you caused. For this reason, you need to approach house painting with considerable pragmatism, organization and forethought. Here are five professional residential painting tips for newbies.
- Always make sure that you have the right tools before you start. Before you start painting, you need to make sure that you have all the tools of the trade. For instance, you may want to rent an electric paint sprayer. You may also need painter’s tape and plenty of tarp. On top of that, you will need the right amount of paint. When you are painting your home, you don’t want to keep going back to the hardware store.
- Always make sure that the painting surface is clean and ready to be painted on. It is also imperative that the painting surface is clean and free of dirt and debris. You could scrub the area clean, but that may take multiple days. Your best bet is to use a pressure washer. A pressure washer shoots water out of a specially designed nozzle to increase the force of the water pressure. Using this tool will ensure that all the dirt and debris is washed away.
- Always prime the surface of the home. After you pressure wash the dirt and debris away, you want to prime. If the previous color was quite dark, you will probably need a few coats of primer. Why is primer important? You can think of primer as an adhesive of sorts – it will help keep the topcoat down and it will give your home a much more beautiful sheen.
- Always sand away previous layers of paint if you want to go for a starkly different color. If the new color of your home is going to be vastly different than the old color – let’s say you are painting your home white from a dark brown or black – you will most likely need to sand down the exterior of your home. One of the best ways to sand is to use an electric sander. You want to get the surface of your home down to the original primer coat.
- Always hire the professionals if you aren’t sure what you are doing. If you have never painted a home before and you aren’t sure if you will do a good job or not, you may simply want to hire a professional house painting company, like Rocky Top Painting, to complete the job for you. In the end, it is often worth the investment to simply have your home professionally painted, because it may cost more to reverse any damage you cause as a result of inexperience.